The Medol Model™, was developed by and based on the life and professional experiences of Jerry Medol, sociologist and founder of Anger Alternatives. It is a time-tested, results-proven process teaching tools and skills to accept, interpret and re-direct anger.
Based on the belief that the anger is healthy and it is the anger-related behavior that is a challenge, there is a need to learn to separate the feelings from the anger-related behavior.
The Medol Model™ is a three stage process as follows:
- Accept the anger feelings in yourself and in others.
- Validate the feelings.
- Separate the anger feeling from the anger-related behavior. It is the anger- related behavior, not the anger feeling that presents the problem.
- Accept that it is OK to be angry.
- Identify your signs and signals- Road, Body and Mind Signs.
- Listen to the message in the anger feelings.
- Ask “What is not OK.”
- Ask “What do I want?”
- Look at the wound and the loss, not at the symptoms.
- Stay in your power by not letting your emotions control your behavior.
- Use de-escalation tools to effectively step back and dis-engage.
- Use effective communication skill to be able to express what you want and to be able to listen in an empathetic and compassionate way.