Response Training© is a training tool developed by Jerry Medol at Anger Alternatives used to specifically teach how to:
- Control reactions and reactionary behavior
- Recognize anger, before rage or depression sets in
- Identify what it is you are angry about
- Identify what you want
- Clarify what is reasonable and attainable for you
RT © teaches you how to stop fighting with what you don’t want.When you focus on what you don’t want, you stay negative and trapped in failure and shame. If you succeed, you will have what you don’t want. This is not a gain.
RT© teaches a basis for a dialog that is based on values, not shame.RT© teaches you to focus on where you have power and can make changes. Taking ownership of losses and wants is a first step toward assertive communication. RT© teaches tools for looking at the original wounds, and at other issues and sensitivities also present. By looking at your own wounds, you can handle hurts differently:
- View the original abuse or neglect
- Put feelings and words to that experience
- Separate early wounds from the present
RT© teaches a basis for setting limits and boundaries.Once you are clear about what you want, you will be able to decide how close you want to be with another person, and how far you are willing go with any situation or person.
In order to change anger related behaviors, we need to be aware of our emotions.
- Recognize difficult situations in a timely manner
- Interpret your own needs (“What do I need?”)
- Set limits and boundaries as necessary
- Decide how to respond to situations
If you don’t know what to do, it is the wrong time to do it!
For more information, contact us.